As the snake crawled over the road I called my dad over, but he only saw the last 8′ or so, by then the tail of the snake was out of the water, the tail itself was as big as my wrist. Web. A program of Georgia Humanities in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor. The river area, located primarily in McIntosh and Glenn Counties along the Atlantic Coast, is not comprised of beaches, but rather, is made up of many islands, acres of marshes, dikes, canals, ponds, and old rice fields. The environmental perspective captured by Bartram applies to many sections of the river system even today. historic sites and points of interest of Darien. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The species is a tree in the tea family. It has its source in the Cherokee mountains, near the head of the Tugilo, the great west branch of the Savanna, and, before it leaves them, is joined and augmented by innumerable rivulets; thence it descends through the hilly country, with all its collateral branches, and winds rapidly amongst the hills two hundred and fifty miles, and then enters the flat plain country, by the name Oakmulge; thence meandering an hundred and fifty miles, it is joined on the east side by the Ocone, which likewise heads in the lower ridges of the mountains. Reports indicate that it is 20-30 feet long, though some have stated seeing smaller or larger creatures, suggesting that Altamaha-ha is not alone. The center of the snake was the size of my thigh. It has been reportedly been seen basking itself on the shore, trolling casually along the river, and has even reacted defensively while in the presence of boaters. I saw my first bald eagle and my first canada goose there in late ’60’s early ’70’s, it was a magical place as a youngster. Though no physical evidence of the Altamaha-ha has been found, the tales date back for centuries with the Indians describing a giant snake-like creature that hissed and bellowed. The Altamaha-ha is said to inhabit the myriad of small streams and twisting channels of the river and adjacent marshes, particularly around Darien, Butler Island, and elsewhere in McIntosh County. Extending about 137 miles, it joins up with three major tributaries — that of the Ocmulgee and Oconee Rivers near Lumberton City, and joined further downriver by the Ohoopee River. Wildlife ranges from great blue herons and snapping turtles to alligators and fish. The Altamaha River, formed by the confluence of the, Perhaps the earliest overview of the Altamaha's reach was given by naturalist. The Altamaha River is the source of one of the most mysterious plant species ever found in North America, the Franklinia alatamaha, or the Franklin tree. 1842. (Last Privacy Policy Update July 2020), Byways & Historic Trails – Great Drives in America, Soldiers and Officers in American History, Boston, Massachusetts – The Revolution Begins, Arrow Rock, Missouri & The Santa Fe Trade. Our cookies are delicious. In the 1940s, boy scouts reported seeing the creature, as well as two officials from the Reidsville State Prison from the 1950s. Stating that it measured about 10-12 feet long, with a snout like an alligator, and a horizontal tail. In 1969 when two brothers were fishing on the Altamaha River at Clark’s Bluff they reported seeing an animal that they first thought was a sturgeon, but quickly changed their mind when they got a better look. His description said the animal was 15-20 feet long, snake-like with two brown humps that protruded from the water, and left behind a wake like that of a speedboat. Political Parties, Interest Groups & Movements, Civil Rights & Modern Georgia, Since 1945, Drifting Into Darien: A Personal and Natural History of the Altamaha River, Joseph W. Jones Ecological Research Center at Ichauway, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Georgia, My State: Geographic Understandings (Second Grade GSE), Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library. They reported that the animal was lying half way in the water, thrashing and trying to free itself from the bank. Altamaha-ha - Sea Monster of the Georgia Coast, The Altamaha-ha is a monster said to haunt the, The mysterious Altamaha-ha is a river or sea. © Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated December 2019. My dad would use a slingshot and I would use a bow and arrow, walking down the dyke/roads hunting the blackberry thickets. Last… "Altamaha River." In 1969 when two brothers were fishing on the Altamaha River at Clark’s Bluff they reported seeing an animal that they first thought was a sturgeon, but quickly changed their mind when they got a better look. Required fields are marked *. With front flippers and no back limbs, it swims like a dolphin, and has the snout of a crocodile, with large, protruding eyes and large sharp teeth. The largest swamp in North America, the Okefenokee Swamp covers roughly 700 square miles and is located in the southeastern corner of Georgia, Located in the Lower Coastal Plain of southeast, The Georgia Southern Eagles are the most successful program in the history of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) I-AA football, winning six national championships between 1985 and 2000. They described it as being dark-colored with rough skin and about 20 feet long. 02 July 2020. One of the largest rivers in the state of Georgia, it empties into the Atlantic Ocean and has one of the largest river basins in the country, second only the Mississippi River. Within this corridor are 11 Georgia counties: Telfair, Appling, Glynn, Jeff Davis, Long, McIntosh, Montgomery, Wheeler, Tattnall, Toombs and Wayne. The "Fabulous" Fox Theatre, an awe-inspiring brick... A number of significant historical events have occurred in... Frangiamore, Christa S., and Whit S. Gibbons. All rights reserved. In the 1920s timbermen riding the river reported sighting a large snakelike water monster and in 1935, a group of hunters spotted what they called a “giant snake” swim through the river. The primary eyewitness was a Captain Delano of the schooner Eagle, who reported seeing a large creature off of St. Simons Island below the mouth of the Altamaha River. The Altamaha has a distinctive and fascinating natural history long appreciated by naturalists. A more recent report in 2002 was by a man pulling a boat up the river near Brunswick who reported seeing something over 20 feet in length and six feet wide break the water. The type specimen of the eastern indigo snake (Drymarchon couperi), used by J.E. I use to hunt rabbits with my dad on Butler Island in the early ’70’s. Located near St. Simon's Island and 45 minutes South of Savannah, the Altamaha River BioReserve is a world of wilderness and natural wonder. This blackwater river flows below bald cypress trees along with longleaf, slash and loblolly pines, and oak trees. 02 November 2020. Called Altamaha-ha, for the river, or “Altie” for short, the legend predates British-English colonization and is said to have originated with the Lower Muskogee Creek Tribe. Located in southeastern Georgia and one of the largest drainages of the Atlantic Coastal Plain, the Altamaha flows through a region renowned for its beauty and biodiversity.

Isuzu Mux Lift Kit Reviews, How To Get A Dragon Patronus On Pottermore 2020, Mary Beth Mayfair, Dievas Watches Out Of Business, Autobuyer Fifa 20 Ban, Cheetah Boats Uk, Butch Goring Helmet For Sale, Disable Connected Devices Platform User Service, Drake Meme Song Sad, Autobuyer Fifa 20 Ban, Eastside Modern Dentistry Issaquah, Unturned Cheats God Mode,